Post Conviction Relief

A way of avoiding deportation of a criminal conviction is to return to criminal court to “vacate” the conviction. This is known as seeking “post conviction relief.” Any person convicted of a crime may, pursuant to post conviction relief, file with the criminal division manager's office of the county in which the conviction took place a petition for post-conviction relief captioned in the action in which the conviction was entered. A petition for post-conviction relief is cognizable if based upon any of the following grounds:

(a) Substantial denial in the conviction proceedings of defendant's rights under the Constitution of the United States or the Constitution or laws of your own State;

(b) Lack of jurisdiction of the court to impose the judgment rendered upon defendant's conviction;

(c) Imposition of sentence in excess of or otherwise not in accordance with the sentence authorized by law.

(d) Any ground heretofore available as a basis for collateral attack upon a conviction by habeas corpus or any other common-law or statutory remedy.

Except as otherwise required by the Constitution of certain states, a petition pursuant to post conviction relief is the exclusive means of challenging a judgment rendered upon conviction of a crime.

Post-conviction relief is not, however, a substitute for appeal from conviction or for motion incident to the proceedings in the trial court, and may not be filed while such appellate review or motion is available.

Office Phone Number